Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Daughter

Jenna, my little girl who has grown to be a remarkable and responsible young lady. She works so hard in every aspect of her life and continues to surprise me as she goes. She is tender and thoughtful, loving and kind. She knows what she wants and is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

I knew last week that this news would rock her world. Cancer, the thought would cause her to crumble inside. Jenna tries very hard to be independent of me. She has been told too many times that she is so like her mother. I say it as well. She has fought to define herself for a long time. Having a charismatic brother and a mother who is pretty outgoing has often times kept her from being in the spotlight which is so where she belongs!!! Without warning, she did develop that sense of independence, humor, and friendships creating for herself a wonderful and full life. Although difficult at times, as her work is so demanding, she is proud of her accomplishments and she did it on her own!

This news was a setback, she cried so hard as I knew she would but as we talked and hugged, I told her that no matter what the outcome, we would walk this together. As her heart opened, I told her that I too was scared. Any mother who loves their children wants to share their lives as they grow. Relationships, weddings, and hopefully grandchildren are part of that picture. The thought of not being there for those moments is the first thing that comes to mind. I began to weep as we talked.

I have realized so many things over these past 2 weeks but one of the most important is that none of us knows when we will be taken!!!! None of us! How can my situation be worse than being taken quickly? I have been given a gift... I now know just how important it is to be prepared each and every day! I know that I would want to have special things in place should I not be able to share in these moments with my children.

I vowed when I was unsure of how much time I might have as I am vowing now, to make things for each of my children. Videos, books on tape for grandchildren, letters to your children, whatever will let them know how special they are. I am hoping that I will have several years to put things in place with both of my children so they will know that I am near them and thinking of them regardless of whether or not I am fortunate enough to phsically be there. God willing, I will share in their lives for a long time but we do not have control over God's plan.

Please learn from what I have experienced these past 2 weeks and do the same! None of us knows...live each day as though it were your last....put God in front of you each morning....Pay It Forward in Prayer to someone you love each and every day.

I love you Jenna!

1 comment:

  1. I love you too mom! You're amazing...and I admire you.

    ReplyDelete