Thursday, December 9, 2010

Update but still not doing Chemo



OK everyone,
I know that I am making everyone crazy but I just can't go forward yet once again. I'm not sure why this is happening but I know that the facts are just not justifying the treatment at this point in time.
Today, Jay took me for my first chemo treatment which as most of you know has been a difficult decision for me to make but I was on board and ready to go forward. Last week, I had a long talk with Dr. Rao, my oncologist in McKinney with Texas Oncology, and we discussed my concerns with treatment when there was no evidence of cancer in all 7 of the bone marrow biopsies that had been done to date. She understood but assured me that the elevated protein and 92 bone lesions made it important for us to get started soon. I asked her if we could monitor but she didn't think that was a good idea but agreed to do another full blood test to look at my protein levels again.
When Jay and I went in today, she let me know that the protein levels I had in late Oct. 2800 which normal is 70 - 400 was now down to 600! She was also confused. We discussed at length and although she said that I had 2 bone treatments, it still did not explain the lowered protein level. She had called Dr. Bushan at Medical City and although they are almost in the normal range now, he still felt we needed to go forward with treatment.
I'm sorry, but this news further complicated my state of mind and once again, we have delayed treatment to discuss further. I will be meeting with Dr. Bushan at Medical City to discuss why or what could be making these proteins drop.
There are 4 indicators of this disease:
Cancer present in Bone Marrow: I have none after 7 biopsies
Elevated Protein levels: Originally mine was 2800, now 600 with normal range being 70-400
24 Hour Urine Proteins: I have no after 2 tests
Bone Lesions: I DO have these which is of serious concern but how long have I had them and how fast are they developing????
With a disease that is based on longevity and time, considered to be terminal at this point, the key is when to begin treatment, what treatment to do, and what time will it give me...

I have been very involved in prayer and know that you all are praying as well so I am looking to God for guidance and it seems that all of his messages as this point are moving me to a cautious state. I continue to pray and hope you will stay with me. I feel sad that I am going back and forth and making everyone crazy but this is so complicated and I just need to make a GOOD decision.

This morning, Shelly and Donis arrived with bagels, coffee and even little gifts for my first day of Chemo. I have the entire month of December already put together by Brenda with meals and drivers for my chemo treatments. EVERYONE has been so incredibly wonderful and it now feels like I am taking advantage of your kind hearts which is also hard for me but everything you have done has allowed me to solely focus on my health and for that I thank you!!! I love you all! Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment