Thursday, December 23, 2010

A New Course

Hello Everyone,
Well, Jay and I went to see Dr. Bhushan yesterday and spoke with him for 2 hours. As most of you know, mine is a RARE case and there has been many factors that have come into question about my treatment. This is what we have decided to do....

Dr. Bhushan still would like to see me start treatment however, he agrees that there are many things we just don't know about my case and will not be able to know so, given that, he feels that I am an intelligent person who is taking my unique situation very seriously and agrees that it might be an option to simply monitor my condition and see how this plays out. He has only experienced 1 case similar to mine and they went forward with treatment but that person did not do as well as expected so he is willing to try another route with me. He is going to talk with Dr. Rao, my hemotologist/oncologist in McKinney and assured me that she would be fine since I have spoken with him. They are very worried that if something happens to me, their biggest concern is fractures, that they will be liable but since I am very aware of these cautions, he agrees that I might be able to go several months, years without this intervention and we will monitor on a monthly basis. We will also do bone marrow biopsies and PET scans on a 3 month basis to watch for progressions in the cancer.

In the meantime, I am planning to go back to Arizona in January and retain my job as an educational consultant through May, God willing. This will help us a great deal financially and that is also important.

I will be back in Texas for good in May and if and when things begin to progress with the cancer, will begin treatment. The only treatment I have had is a bone drug called Zometa which could explain the drop in proteins etc. but regardless, we still have not found actual cancer in my bone marrow so I would like this time to let God, and the changes from God in me, do it's work. Miracles happen and although I am not worth of that intervention in my own thoughts, I know that God does everything for a purpose and the impact this has had on all of us has been a blessing from God.

I will continue to pray as I'm sure all of you will, that we all keep God in front of us as we live each day and that we appreciate and share the gifts he has given to us. This journey has been spectacular and as I move forward with my life, I have a newfound appreciation for literally EVERYTHING around me and EVERYONE I meet. The miracles of God has already been experience by me regardless of whether or not my cancer progresses. I am loved and blessed to have had this life and all of you! May you all have the most wonderful holiday with family and friends and I will continue to write and let you know how I am doing.

Love to all, and Merry Christmas! Susan and Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment