Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Update Nov. 2nd Heading to Arkansas 2nd Opinion

Hello Everyone,
Last night we finally talked with Danny, a client of Shelly's and things have now changed for us. Everything seems a little more serious now and we have uped our level of concern over finding the best possible treatment.

Originally, we were happy with our care here in McKinney and ready to get started today. I had my port installed yesterday and we meet with our Dr. at 11:00. Danny helped us to realized that we have quite a fight in front of us and that the mistake commonly made is starting treatment locally only to find out that things are not as simple as they seem and other options were available.

Danny painted a picture with some painful realities that this is extremely serious and the best care which is what we should be looking for is in Arkansas. The Arkansas Institute for Multiple Myeloma deals specifically with my disease and therefore does more transplants and experimental treatments than any other facility in the world.

I am blessed that Shelly has been talking about my cancer as that is how we found Danny. His daughter was diagnosed 7 years ago and is currently cancer free. Treatment includes a tandem bone marrow transplant which will cause me to experience high fatigue, hair loss, the works but they have an 80% remission rate and when all is said and done, that is what we are ultimately working to achieve.

I continue to look at this with a strong sense of optimism and spiritual awareness that all is in God's hands. He continues to lead us in our decisions and will provide the resources we need to move forward. I have a wonderful friend, Kim, who many of you know came to Texas last year to live with me for a month and help me with the Reading adoption who has offered her home to my family as we figure this all out. I am truely blessed, once again and all is as it should be. I will continue to keep you posted.

Jay, Jimmy, Jenna and I will all head to Arkansas as soon as Danny can arrange an appt. for us. He is very connected and his daughter is on the cover of the Institutes Brochure. Can you believe it! Kim's husband also know the Director of the Institute and Danny told us that the Director will be involved personally in my treatment plan and care. WOW!!!

Love and prayers to all of you as we all need to walk with God in front of us each and every day! My thoughts and gratitude for your prayers and friendship continue to be at the top of my priority list as I Pray It Forward! Love to all. Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment